The antique cathedral and bell towerS. Severino Marche
The restoration, divided into two stages - the second following the 1997 earthquake - was geared to resolving problems of decay and structural weakness that had long rendered the church unusable with the intention of consenting the both the reopening as a place of worship and the-use of the entire complex.
Photography & Project by Spira SrlThe interventions carried out prior to the earthquake included the limited sub-foundation reinforcement, the renovation of the roofing and the rainwater drainage system, an initial wall and column consolidation, as well as dealing with the rising damp in the perimeter walls of the nave and side chapels by creating a ventilated cavity along the internal perimeter and drainage trench around the exterior of the church.
- The monumental compendium that is the Ancient Duomo, founded in the tenth century, which until 1828 included the bishop’s palace and the canonical lodgings, presides over the town of San Severino from the summit of the Castle built after the Roman city of Septempeda was destroyed. When the title of Cathedral was reassigned to the Church of S. Agostino, located in the lower part of the town, the structure, albeit the renovation in 1741, was already in a precarious state of decay, a result of seismic damaged in 1799.
- Servives rendered:
- Developed Design, Construction Documentation (in collaboration with others), Site Supervision (1° Lot)
- San Severino Town Council