Restoration of the council owned building (iat) on piazza Vittorio Emanuele IIAndria
For its new use as Tourist information office, a series restorative and technological inventions were required to overcome the intrinsic defects of the building.
Photography & Project by Spira SrlWork on the structure was conducted after the valuation of the seismic vulnerability using a ‘push over analysis’. The study resulted in a series of interventions that, without altering the mass distribution, introduced elements essential for the distribution of the seismic loading so that all the structural elements contribute to the buildings overall resistance.
Photography & Project by Spira SrlThe principle types of degradation encountered during the analysis of he external finishes were due to rising damp, atmospheric pollution, rainwater erosion, runoff stains, biological attacks and infesting vegetation. The methods adopted for the restoration of the facades were chosen with the intention to not alter the aspect of the monument save for the removal of disfiguring additions. Punctual and calibrated conservative treatment assured the permanence of the diverse elements (stone, stucco and plaster) that define the architectural form.
- Built in 1887 to a design by the architect A. Nahmias as an urban police station, the building is located between the Carafa Ducal residence and the historic Bishop’s residence occupying the highest side of the square.
- Servives rendered:
- Construction documentation, Site Supervision and Site Safety Coordination
- Andria city council